I write short stories. I own surprisingly few pairs of shorts. I sometimes short circuit.
"Alana" sounds like "A lotta" = A lotta shorts.

Take the title however you like.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sasha & Chuck: Con't



 


Beasley sat slumped over in a corner, not moving. Sasha and Chuck ran to him, Chuck sliding to his knees and thrusting two fingers under Beasley's jaw.

"He's alive."

Sasha reached down and pulled a piece of paper out of his hand. She read it aloud.

"Aren't secret hideaways supposed to be...secret?"

***

Beasley sat, although sat may have been too active a word for someone who had just fainted, in one of the over-sized plush chair in the library. Sasha blew a smarting cold wind into his face to awaken him.

He was groggy at first but he rebounded like a cat.

"Sir! Chuck! Sir Chuck!"

"They haven't knighted me yet, Beasley. Just slow down and tell us what happened."

Beasley rubbed his left temple.

"Well, I was down...downstairs...I had just put all your accessories away and your suit and was waiting for the elevator - I wanted to pop up for a moment and see if the refreshments needed to be refilled. Just as the door opened... 
 

Just as the door opened I thought I heard a noise so I turned to look behind me. There was no one there but when I stepped in the elevator I saw a figure through the mirror, standing behind me. Next thing I knew, Sasha was blowing her Ice Breath in my face.”
Beasley rubbed his cheeks, trying to send some blood back in to warm them.
“Could you make out who it was, Beasley?” Chuck asked.
“Honestly, no. I’m sorry, Chuck. All I can remember is that whoever it was wore all black – maybe with a black mask covering their face. But it was almost a transparent sort of smoky black.”
The horrific realization rushed through them as they turned to face each other.
“Liana,” they said in unison.
An hour later Chuck had secured and re-secured the mansion and underground lair. Beasley was in bed with a cold towel on his head and Sasha was pacing the library floor. 
“I don’t see how she got in.” Chuck slumped down into a chair and rubbed his temples.
“You don’t see how she got in? Are you serious? First of all, she’s the personification of shadow and smoke. Secondly, you probably started seeing her again after we broke up, let her mist her way back in, and haven’t changed the locks since.” Sasha seethed.
“My security system is a little more complicated than just changing the locks.”
“Maybe that’s the problem. Maybe you need a good old-fashioned smoke detector.”
“Sasha, as much as I love it when you’re jealous, you’re focusing on the wrong thing right now. Nothing’s going on with Liana – she’s our archenemies! And she doesn’t hold a candle to you on her best day.”
“She’s MY archenemesis! Not yours.” Sasha pointed out.
“No. Any enemy of yours is an enemy of mine.  You know that.”
“Do I?”
“We’re not getting anywhere with this, Sasha. May I remind you that she broke into my lair, knocked out my trusted butler slash friend and left a creepy note in my elevator! If I know her…”
“And you do.” Sasha interrupted.
“If I know her,” Chuck continued forcefully, “Then this is just the beginning.”
“Of what?” Sasha couldn’t stop the accusatory tone in her voice.
“I don’t know.” Chuck said, regretfully.

As Chuck cast his eyes to the floor, searching vainly for answers in the wood grain, Sasha took a moment to study him. Her tension eased remembering then how much he did care for her.  And in turn that made her realize that if he was this concerned then she was definitely in a situation here.
“I guess I’m in real trouble, Chuck.” She said, leaning against the bookcase for support.
“I’ll protect you.” Chuck stood and walked to Sasha, taking her into his arms. She let him hold her a moment longer than she would have a few hours ago. She knew he would protect her – he’d done it before. It was how they met.
“I think I should look in on my place.” Sasha pulled away gently and left the library, heading for the coat closet in the foyer.
“I’ll come with you,” Chuck said falling into step next to her.
“No. Heroes vs. Villains 101, Chuck. We both go; we both get ambushed; we both get captured. And who’s going to save us? Leo’s laying low in Australia after taking out Dr. Viktor’s side-kick last week. Diane and Frey are fighting that Evil Robot out West and Swain is light-years away in some other galaxy, completely unreachable.”
Chuck helped Sasha on with her coat. She flipped the third button over and pushed it in, making herself invisible.
“Ok. But you send the code if even the slightest thing seems to be wrong. And don’t go inside until you know it’s safe.” Chuck said, using his heat vision to see her in reds and oranges.
“I will.” Sasha stepped outside, called up a small tornado and rode it out of sight.
 


No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm Lanii. I try to Be Good. It doesn't always work. "Call Me Lanii" is sort of about that - my inner and outer triumphs (what?) and struggles. "Alana Shorts" is sort of about that, too: I draw way too much inspiration from the crazy and strange events that actually happen to me and end up writing very little 'fiction'. I usually have my tongue quite thoroughly stuck in my cheek.